New Headway Elementary
New Headway Elementary, Fourth edition is a course for students who already have
some basic knowledge of the language. They may have recently completed a beginner
course or they may be returning to language learning after a break and need to revise
key language before being able to progress further.
Organization of the course
The organization of New Headway Elementary, Fourth edition is similar to other levels of Headway,
fourth edition. Each unit has the following:
• Starter : is designed to be a warmer to the lesson and has a direct link with the unit to come.
• Presentation of new language : New language items are presented through texts, often
conversations, which students can read and listen to at the same time. This enables students to relate the spelling to the sounds of English, and helps with pronunciation, as well as form and use.
• Practice : This section contains a variety of controlled and freer practice exercises. The primary skills used are speaking and listening, but there is also some reading and writing. There are information gap exercises, group discussions, information transfer listening exercises,
pronunciation exercises, and a lot of personalized activities.
• Skills work - always speaking, combined with listening or reading, with a writing section for each
unit at the back of the book
• Vocabulary : Vocabulary is introduced systematically and it is reviewed and recycled throughout
the course. Lexical sets are chosen according to two criteria.
• Everyday English : Students have the opportunity to practiced chunks of language used in formal and informal situations. Students learn phrases for requests and suitable responses, for use whilst shopping, when asking for directions, and for many other situations.